“You are a man with an exceptional background,” Judge Peter Blair told Sookhdeo at his trial.

sex dating in patrick south carolina-55sex dating in patrick south carolina-64

The founder and director of one of the world’s largest advocates for persecuted Christians has resigned after being convicted of sexually assaulting a woman in his office on Valentine’s Day last year.

Trustees of Barnabas Aid International were "saddened" by Monday's verdict by a British jury against Patrick Sookhdeo, who had disputed the charges.

The board told CT: "Whilst [he] would have been able to continue as a trustee ...

he has asked to resign from this post and the board has accepted his resignation." The first reported the conviction, which was picked up by the BBC.

According to the , the victim also claimed that Sookhdeo told her of his concern that women might accuse him of sexual assault after reading something about that in the media.

He asked if she was aware of the impact a sexual assault claim would have on a career and said that it would ruin his, she said.

After Sookhdeo was first accused, the Barnabas Fund investigated and "expressed 'full support' for [him] after internal inquiry did not uphold allegations," noted the .

Sookhdeo, a married 67-year-old, founded the Barnabas Fund, a United Kingdom-based charity which focuses primarily on supporting Christians living in the Muslim world.

He currently serves as international director of Barnabas Aid International, which encompasses the United States-based Barnabas Aid.

In 2013, the UK branch reported income of US.5 million (significantly larger than Open Doors, though behind Voice of the Martyrs).

Raised as a Muslim in Guyana, Sookhdeo converted to Christianity as a young person and has subsequently written over 20 books on Islam and advised the British military on Muslim culture and Iraq.