"It's a part of giving these communities a chance," he said."A chance to compete in the 21 century." Early reviews of the projects funded through the 2013 grants indicate the effort has positively impacted crime rates and property values in the communities.According to a two-year study by the Land Policy Institute at Michigan State University, $3.5 million of demolition activity in Flint unlocked $112 million in improved property values for surrounding homeowners.

How the new $188 million will be divided among different programs and between Michigan's communities is yet to be determined by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority, Kildee said.

But he said he expects a "heavy emphasis" will be placed on blight-elimination efforts.

Major benefits of blight elimination, Kildee said, include making the community more attractive to residents and potential developers and can ultimately result in higher property values, lower crime rates and improved local economies.

Of that total, $55.8 million went to the blight removal projects in Detroit in Flint and $18.7 million of went to support mortgage assistance programs. Michigan's $74.5M plan to stymie foreclosure, eliminate blight approved Including the new funding, Michigan has received a total of $262.59 million from the Hardest Hit Fund this year.

— The scale of the fight against blight in Saginaw and other Michigan's cities, strengthened since 2013 by a major infusion of federal funding, is about to get a whole lot bigger. That effectively doubles the resources already in hand that could be used to clear away blighted homes in Michigan's urban cores, according to U. Saginaw Mayor Dennis Browning helps crews demolish the home where he raised his family in the 1970s and 80s on Friday, Nov. The demolition is part of a federally-funded grant program that has helped city and county officials demolish hundreds of vacant, blighted homes in the community since October 2013. Michigan received a $74.5 million share of $1 billion in Hardest Hit funds released nationwide.

Treasury has authorized the state to spend about 8.1 million from the Hardest Hit Fund on blight reduction mortgage relief efforts in Michigan, according to information released by federal officials Wednesday, April 20. Of the allocations, Michigan claims the largest portion. Michigan has already spent about 0 million to demolish thousands of blighted homes in five communities — Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Pontiac and Grand Rapids —and received authorization earlier this year to spend .8 million more on demolition projects in Flint and Detroit.

After years of work chipping away at issues with blight in his hometown of Flint and elsewhere across Michigan, Kildee said it feels good to have helped secure such a large chunk of funding for the effort. "Congress really helped me bring it to a scale that is equal to size of the problem." Michigan's 8 million share is part billion in funding approved nationwide. of new, federal blight removal funds There are two reasons for that, according to Kildee. "We have communities like Flint, like Detroit that have significant blight that is standing in the way of efforts to rebuild both of those places." The other reason Michigan is receiving the largest amount, he said, is because the state has demonstrated "the capacity to spend this money and to spend it really well." "In Michigan we have a demonstrated track record of being able to do it," Kildee said.

"This will help, in terms of communities trying to rebuild their local economies." The congressman — who represents all of Bay and Genesee counties and parts of Saginaw County — is a key advocate of blight elimination efforts in the state, dating back to his term as treasurer in Genesee County.

In that most recent allocation, Detroit received .9 million for blight removal and Flint received .9 million. The Hardest Hit Fund was developed under the Troubled Asset Relief Program signed into law by then-President George W.

Michigan's .5 million was the first phase and the 8 million the second phase of billion in Hardest Hit funding released by Congress, after efforts by Kildee and U. Bush in 2008 in response to the subprime mortgage crisis.

It was initially devoted to mortgage-relief programs, but was opened up for use on blighted home demolitions in 2013.